Dr. Brooksher was born in Joplin, Missouri. In 1964 his parents moved their family to Baton Rouge, which has been his home ever since.
After graduating from Catholic High School, he decided to become a dentist. He had always enjoyed working with his hands, and he wanted a career where he could touch people’s lives in a personal way.
He obtained his bachelor’s degree in biology from Tulane University, and then attended dental school at Louisiana State University where he graduated with his DDS degree in 1978. He then returned to Baton Rouge to practice dentistry.
Dr. Brooksher began his dental career as an associate of Dr. John Atkinson who had a profound influence on him both personally and professionally. They worked together for several years until Dr. Brooksher opened his own practice. When Dr. Atkinson retired, Dr. Brooksher assumed his practice and returned to the office location where he had worked as an associate. He continues to practice at that location.
“I have a relationship with this community. It has given me many opportunities and blessings, and I believe I have made significant contributions to make Baton Rouge a better place.”
What He Enjoys Most about Dentistry
When asked what he enjoys most about dentistry, Dr. Brooksher says: “We often take for granted the simple pleasure we have of eating comfortably. I have seen so many people who have difficulty eating due to painful or missing teeth. They have to limit their food to a soft diet, a compromise not only to their enjoyment, but also to their health. I especially enjoy helping people completely restore their ability to eat at full capacity.
“I also enjoy cosmetic dentistry. It is very rewarding to see the dramatic changes that can be accomplished by improving the appearance of a person’s smile. We have all witnessed the attraction of a beautiful smile, and it can be life changing to receive a beautiful smile and confidently share it with others.”
His Treatment Philosophy
“The Boy Scouts say that a campsite should be left in better condition than it was found. I believe we should all strive to make our world a better place in some way, and it is exciting to me to know that I can make a significant contribution. I also believe that a beautiful, vibrant, healthy mouth leads to a longer and more enjoyable life. I love to help people smile with confidence and achieve and maintain the ability to have pleasure in eating effortlessly.
“Building meaningful relationships enables me to provide thoughtful guidance and dental treatment that is suited to the needs of each patient. I believe each person determines his or her own level of health. If patients understand their dental condition, they will be in a better position to determine the best course of action that fits with their life’s circumstances.
“I always encourage choices that improve health and vitality and slow down the effects of aging. I want to help patients discover and preserve the complete comfort, function, and beauty of their mouth. Sometimes that means eliminating severely compromised teeth in favor of something that feels, works, and looks better.”
Education and Training
- BS in biology from Tulane University
- DDS degree from Louisiana State University School of Dentistry (LSUSD)
- LSUSD Esthetic Continuum Levels I and II
- Training in complex restorative dentistry from the Pankey Institute
- Seattle Study Club – Baton Rouge Chapter
- 70 hours of continuing education each year—more than four times what is required by the state of Louisiana
- Fellow, International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- Founding member, L.D. Pankey Alumni Study Club
- American Dental Association
- Louisiana Dental Association
- Greater Baton Rouge Dental Association
- Past president, East Baton Rouge Parish Dental Association
- One of ten accredited cosmetic dentists in Louisiana, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD)
- Voted “People’s Choice” winner in the AACD International Smile Gallery competition
Memberships and Awards
- Baton Rouge Rotary Club
- Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce – Leadership alumnus
- St. Aloysius Church – Adult Core Team (ACT)
- Walden Homeowners Association – Board of directors
- Catholic Schools Diocese of Baton Rouge – Recognized as distinguished alumnus, 1999
- Tulane University – Four-year letterman in track and field, 1974
- Catholic High School – Men of the Year, 1970
Dr. Brooksher and his wife, Margaret are deeply committed to their prayer life and church community, St. Aloysius. They have five children and three grandchildren. In their leisure time, Dr. Brooksher and his wife enjoy traveling with family. Dr. Brooksher also enjoys running.