I am almost finished with Invisalign and would like to know if I need to switch dentists if I can finish treatment on my own. I only have three months of treatment left, and my dentist gave me the remaining trays. After Christmas, I will relocate to Virginia to be closer to my aging parents. I will see my dentist one more time before I move. My dentist wants me to find a new Invisalign dentist, but I want to know if I can continue without one. Thank you. Carolyn M. from Peoria, IL
Thank you for your question. Many patients wonder whether they should find a new Invisalign dentist if they are relocating and almost finished with treatment.
Do You Need a New Invisalign Dentist After You Move?
You may need to switch Invisalign dentists if you are nearing the end of treatment and are relocations. Reasons to switch dentists include:
- Ensure your treatment plan is on track
- Determine whether you need new attachments for precise movement
- Remove tiny amounts of enamel from between your teeth (Interproximal reduction) to ensure they align properly
- Take a new scan of your teeth to identify whether they need refinement
- Order a short series of aligners to refine your treatment outcome
- Help you get back on track if anything interferes with your treatment
- Order a custom retainer after you finish the Invisalign treatment
After you select a new Invisalign dentist in Virginia, contact your current dentist to transfer your dental records and Invisalign care.
- Schedule an appointment with your new dentist
- Bring your remaining aligners with you
- Schedule follow-up visits with the new dentist
When you complete treatment, your new dentist will use digital impressions of your teeth for the Invisalign lab to use when creating a custom retainer. Your dentist will explain how long you must wear the retainer to maintain your teeth alignment.
Look for a dentist in your new city with extensive Invisalign experience.