What are my options for chipped tooth repair? I was mountain biking with friends two weeks ago, hit a bump too fast, and hit the ground face-first. Thank God we wear biking helmets, but I chipped five teeth, including my top center teeth. The chips are noticeable, but fortunately, I lost no teeth. I saw my dentist last week, and he suggested porcelain veneers. I should mention that I have crossbite and was considering braces. Now that my teeth are chipped, I cannot afford braces and veneers. What are my options, and will the chipped teeth interfere with braces?
It’s good to know that you didn’t have serious injuries from your biking accident.
What Are Your Options for Chipped Tooth Repair?
Options for chipped tooth repair include dental bonding and porcelain veneers. A cosmetic dentist can skillfully apply bonding to your teeth or work with a dental ceramist to craft custom porcelain veneers that cover the fronts of your chipped teeth. Consider how dental bonding and porcelain veneers compare.
Dental bonding is a mixture of plastic resin and quartz or glass. Cosmetic dentists have an inventory of dental composites and blend and layer them for seamless chipped tooth repair.
- Application – A dentist etches your teeth and applies dental bonding by hand while you sit comfortably in a dental chair.
- Longevity – Dental bonding can last five years or longer if you take care of it. However, it is not as durable as porcelain veneers. It is not stain resistant.
- Cost – The average cost of dental bonding in the US is $300 to $700 per tooth.
Porcelain veneers are dental ceramics custom made to cover the fronts of your teeth. After taking impressions of your teeth, a dentist will make temporary veneers for you to try on. A dental ceramist will craft the veneers.
- Application – A skilled cosmetic dentist will conservatively remove a small amount of enamel from the fronts of your affected teeth. The preparation ensures the veneers fit well without looking bulky. Then, the dentist will bond the veneers to your teeth.
- Longevity – According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, porcelain veneers last seven to twenty years.
- Cost – The average cost of porcelain veneers in the US is $1,000 to $3,500 per tooth.
Orthodontics After Chipped Tooth Repair
Consult a cosmetic dentist and explain your goals for chipped tooth repair and correcting your crossbite. The dentist can develop a treatment plan for your smile makeover and explain the healthiest ways to restore your smile.
Baton Rouge dentist Dr. Steven Brooksher sponsors this post.